Brentford 1 - 0 Bristol City

Last updated : 24 April 2005 By Smallsy
Report by Thomas Moore

It was a pleasant but cold Saturday afternoon as Brentford took on Bristol
City at Griffin Park in front of 6780 fans.

Brentford started strongly and forced Bristol City to defend from the
start. The only attack which Bristol City had was a cross dealt with by
Stuart Nelson.

Brentford took the lead after 11 minutes. Tommy Doherty fouled Scott P.
Fitzgerald. From the resulting free-kick delivered in by Stuart Talbot.
Sam Sodje met the ball and struck the ball into the bottom right corner of
Steve Phillips' goal for his 7th goal of the season which is only two
behind Isaiah Rankin and Deon Burton. This sent the home fans into screams
of delight as they had not led at Griffin Park in a League game since
beating MK Dons 1-0. (Brentford 1-0 Bristol City)

Then the game began to get more physical with tackle flying in and several
fouls. A fight broke out between the players but was quickly calmed down.

Brentford managed to increase their strangle-hold on the game but could
not force the second goal. Brentford had a couple of corners which came to
no avail.

Then some sort of disagreement broke out between Sam Sodje and Danny
Coles. The referee booked both players for unsporting behaviour.

The game remained scrappy until half-time. Brentford were much the happier
team going into half-time.

Like the first half the second half was again aggressive. Fouls were
conceded very quickly.

Brentford had two great chances to double their precious advantage but
Tabb and Burton blasted over difficult opportunities.

Bristol City made their first change unleashing Scott Murray at the
expense of Scott Murray.

Steve Brooker had a shot which went wide and was heading straight at me. I
managed to use my old keeper reflexes to punch the ball away from any
facial or chest injury.

Deon Burton had a long shot which went over the bar as Brentford again
pressed forward for the crucial second goal which would take them into
positive goal difference for the first time in ages.

Bristol City made the second of their substitutions bringing off Paul
Heffernan and replacing him with David Cotterill. They also brought off 7
minutes later Tommy Doherty to be replaces by Cole Skuse.

Brentford had free-kicks in dangerous positions but decided to pass when
it could have been a better option to cross the ball in.

Bristol City came back into the game with Nelson making a point blank stop
and Leroy Lita hitting one just over the bar when the defender had it

The 4 minutes added time was greeted with groans from the crowd and there
was general concern of a late equaliser. Bristol City did not get a chance
to shoot and Brentford held on to take a great 1-0 victory which leaves
them level on points with Bournemouth and one point behind Hartlepool with
two games in hand with Tranmere and Wrexham to play. Bristol City are now
7 points adrift of a play-off spot with a game in hand over their closest
neighbours in League One being Swindon.


S Nelson, K O''Connor, M Turner, S Sodje, A Frampton, J Tabb, S Talbot, D
Pratley, M Gayle, D Burton (I Rankin 81) , S Fitzgerald (M Harrold 86)

Subs: A Bankole, A Myers, R Peters

Bristol City

S Phillips, J Smith, D Coles, C Fortune, S Golbourne, D Cotterill (P
Heffernan 69) , T Doherty (C Skuse 75) , B Orr, S Brown (S Murray 57) , L
Lita, S Brooker

Subs: M Bell, J Keith

Ref: J Ross


Brentford 44% - 56% Bristol City


Brentford 7-2 Bristol City


Brentford 5 -2 Bristol City

Brentford 13-16 Bristol City


Brentford 1-1 Bristol City