Brentford 2 - 2 Chesterfield

Last updated : 24 April 2005 By Smallsy
Report by Thomas Moore

It was a glorious day in West London as Brentford took on Chesterfield in
front of 6072 at Griffin Park. Brentford made two changes to their
starting 11 bringing back Chris Hargreaves and Isaiah Rankin replacing
Stewart Talbot and Darren Pratley.

Brentford started strongly and nearly had the lead in the 4th minute when
Michael Turner's header was brilliantly saved by Marton Fulop. Brentford
continued to dominate the proceedings but could not find the killer shot.

Chesterfield came more into the game after early Brentford pressure with
Ian Evett being the main threat forcing Michael Turner into a block and
Stuart Nelson into a smart save. Mark De Bolla had his weak shot saved by
Stuart Nelson.

Then Chesterfield managed to get a goal in the 38th minute. This came
after a Brentford corner. Carlos Logan broke down the left and fed Mark De
Bolla through one on one with Nelson. Mark De Bolla took one touch then
rifled the ball into Brentford's net (Brentford 0-1 Chesterfield).
Chesterfield heads were up and went looking to score another.

Brentford came looking for the equaliser but could not find the net before
half time with Isaiah Rankin and Deon Burton squandering chances. The
teams went in at half time with the score at 0-1.

Brentford came out in the same way and tried to get an equaliser. Yet
again their finishing let them down. Martin Allen brought Steve Hunt on
for Scott Fitzgerald who was making his home debut.

Chesterfield had Shane Nicholson and Derek Niven booked for dissent and
unsporting behaviour shortly after half time but Brentford could not find
the net with the resulting free kicks.

Then Chesterfield thought they had the game safe in the 64th minute.
Gareth Davies was booked for unsporting behaviour. After the resulting
free kick Chesterfield countered with Mark Allott who swung in the cross
which was met by the head of Allison who put it across Nelson for their
second (Brentford 0-2 Chesterfield). Brentford needed to get back into the
game and Martin Allen brought on John Salako for Andrew Frampton.

Brentford duly obliged by getting a goal in the 66th minute. Kevin O'
Connor threw the ball long which was flicked on by Hutchinson and Burton
volleyed home (Brentford 1-2 Chesterfield). This gave Brentford the
lifeline they needed.

Brentford came poring forward looking for that equaliser and it came in
the 77th minute. John Salako fired a free kick into the wall which
rebounded to Tabb who struck a fierce shot from 20 yards through bodies of
players into the bottom right hand corner of the net. (Brentford 2-2

Chesterfield then had Adam Smith booked for a poor challenge on Kevin O'
Connor. Brentford poured forward looking for the winner. Deon Burton
nearly wrapped things out after a neat one two with Jay Tabb but Marton
Fulop saved well down low to his right.

Even in stoppage time Brentford could have had a winner. Jay Tabbs cross
was met by Sodje who fed Chris Hargreaves but his header was over the bar
with Marton Fulop beaten.

The end result was a 2-2 draw.


S Nelson, S Sodje, M Turner, E Hutchinson, A Frampton (65 J Salako) , J
Tabb, C Hargreaves, K O''Connor, S Fitzgerald (50 S Hunt) , D Burton, I
Subs Not Used: A Bankole, M Dobson, D Pratley


M Fulop, A Bailey, S Blatherwick, I Evatt, S Nicholson, M De Bolla (62 T
N''Toya) , M Allott, G Davies, D Niven, C Logan (60 A Smith) , W Allison
Subs Not Used: A O''Hare, A Downes, A Richmond,

Ref: I Williamson

Brentford 47% - 53% Chesterfield

Brentford 8 - 4 Chesterfield

Brentford 7 - 1 Chesterfield

Brentford 13 - 27 Chesterfield

Brentford 0 - 4 Chesterfield