Match Day One Review

Last updated : 09 August 2005 By Smallsy
Barnsley won their opening match against Swindon convincingly 2-0. Hayes scored in the 11th minute and Shuker scored after half time. Williams was sent off for Barnsley.

Chesterfield go top after a 3-1 win away at Blackpool. Parker took the lead for the Tangerines but Allison equalised. De Bolla gave Chesterfield the lead and Blatherwick rounded off the win for the away side.

Brentford got their campaign off to the best possible start against Scunthorpe. Tabb gave the Bees the lead in the 71st minute and a Campbell penalty sealed the win 10 minutes later.

Bristol City were held to a 0-0 draw against Doncaster at Ashton Gate.

Gillingham got off to life in League One with a 2-1 win over Colchester. Danns had given the U’s the lead but Crofts equalised for the Gills. Byfield sealed the win in the 89th minute.

Bradford got off to a great start against Hartlepool with a 2-0 win. Windass scored in the 8th minute and Petta rounded off proceedings in the 55th minute.

Bournemouth came from two goals down to draw with MK Dons. McLeod gave them a two goal lead with goals either side of half time. But Hayter pulled one back and an injury time equaliser from Surman saved the Cherries.

Nottingham Forest got off to their first season for a long time in the 3rd tier of English football with a 2-1 win over Huddersfield. Dobie gave the Trees the lead before half time. Abbott equalised with a penalty but Johnson gave Forest the win on 87 minutes.

Yeovil’s life in League One was rocked with a 2-0 loss at Boundary Park. Porter and Warne giving the Latics 3 points with the goals in the 24th and 26th minutes.

Rotherham got off to life in League One with a loss to Walsall. Taylor opened the scoring account for League One with a 2nd minute goal. Butler equalised but Leitao won the game with his 90th minute winner.

Southend lost at Port Vale 2-1 with a Lowndes double putting them 2-0 up after 28 minutes. Gray pulled one back but it was not enough.

Swansea were the only promoted side to win today in the first game ever at the White Rock Stadium against Tranmere. Akinfenwa scored the only goal of the match on the half hour.