Brentford 2 (1) Vs Huddersfiled 1 (1)

Last updated : 02 May 2002 By

But they made the worst possible start ever after Steven Sidwell lost possession on the edge of the area and it fell to Andy Booth. Booths stabbed effort looked harmless enough, but somehow Paul Smith let it through his grasp and the Yorkshire side were ahead after two minutes.

The Bees fought back well and Steven Hunt was unlucky with an effort that just sailed over the bar from a free kick, but the Bees were level after 14 minutes. Paul Evans sent in a deep free kick and it was met by the head of Darren Powell who headed home.

Another free kick minutes later saw the Bees go ahead, but this time Ingimarssons header cleared off the line.

There seemed disaster in the 34th minute, when Martin Rowlands had to be substituted due to his long term groin strain. He was replaced by the hard working Kevin O'Connor.

The Bees were nearly behind again when Ifill's deflected shot was chested off the line by Sidwell.

But the Bees were ahead a minute after the break. O'Connor was tumbled over in the box, and just as the referee was about to point to the spot, Owusu fired in a terrific shot into the far corner of the net.

Owusu was magnificent all night and could and should have had a hattrick. He intercepted a loose ball from the Huddersfield captain Steve Jenkins and rounded Margetson in goal. Unfortunately the angle was to acute and he could only find the side netting.

Owusu also latched onto a poor headed back pass but could only head wide of the advancing keeper.

The Bees tried to tighten things up at the back by replacing Big Ben Burgess with Danny Boxall. But then Huddersfield went close on two occasions. Firstly Hay had a terrific shot which bounced awkwardly in front of goal, but Smith made a fantastic save making up for the earlier mistake and tipped the ball wide from the post.

And then there was a scare moments later, when Ijah Anderson seemed to handle and the whole ground stopped. Fortunately the referee failed to notice the moment and the Bees had an opportunity to look forward to playing Stoke in the millennium stadium.

After the match Steve Coppell said “Once we got to grip with things and settled down – it was a hectic atmosphere out there – its good we were able to hurt them consistently. I told the players during midweek that they had more than enough to win the game. I'm glad we didn't panic – we had our moments when we were edgy, but all in all it was a typical Brentford performance.”

“We talked about the Reading situation. Looking back I would have brought Boxall on and we did that tonight.”

“Brentford went through to the millennium stadium last year and I know a lot of the layers were unhappy with their performance. Its nice that they get a chance to correct that.”