Brentford 0-0 Wigan- Match Report

Brentford held by Wigan

Brentford had to be content with a share of the spoils in a 0-0 draw despite dominating against a resolute Wigan side.

John Egan came closest to breaking the deadlock for the Londoners when his looping second-half header was cleared off the line and onto the bar by Latics defender Shaun MacDonald.

And the visitors had Dave Perkins to thank late on when Maxime Colin's fierce cross-shot was spilled by keeper Adam Bogdan and the defender cleared to safety.

The visitors almost nicked it at the death but Nick Powell's blistering free-kick forced an unorthodox reflex stop from Daniel Bentley.

Lasse Vibe was the first to strike in anger after nine minutes, but his low drive from the tightest of angles was blocked by the legs of Wigan keeper Adam Bogdan.

Wigan had giant centre-back Dan Burn to thank for keeping things deadlocked 10 minutes later when the Bees' leading scorer Scott Hogan burst through only to be thwarted by the former Fulham man's superb last-ditch tackle.

Denmark international Vibe should have given the hosts the lead minutes later when he chested down a cross from the right but lashed his first-time effort wide of the far post.

Wigan defended deep with two-well drilled banks which took the sting out of a Brentford side who have hit nine goals in their last two home games.

Max Power tested Brentford keeper Bentley with an angled drive from the edge of the box which Bentley saved at the second attempt.

And Power came close to giving his side the lead just before the half-hour when former Bees loanee Nathan Byrne got to the byline and pulled back for Power to smash a first-time drive into the side netting.

Brentford had much of the possession in a one-sided first half but never really looked like troubling a well-organised Latics defence.

Referee Andy Woolmer did not help the flow of the game with a fussy display that saw six bookings dished out in a game that was niggly rather than dirty.

Egan was always a threat for the hosts and saw a goal-bound strike just before the hour cleared by the head of Stephen Warnock, who threw his body on the line to repel a string of Brentford efforts.

Romaine Sawyers could have given Dean Smith's side the breakthrough on 62 minutes but headed Alan McCormack's precision cross over when well placed with the goal gaping.

Vibe went close midway through the second half but saw his low drive deflected wide by a brave challenge from Warnock, as the Latics' rearguard held firm to take a hard-earned point.

Source : PA

Source: PA