Cheltenham Town 5 Brentford 0

Last updated : 23 August 2005 By Footymad Previewer
Cheltenham Town launched themselves into the second round of the Carling Cup for only the second time in seven seasons as a Football League club and secured their biggest win since gaining promotion from the Conference.

It was all the more remarkable that this feat was achieved against a Brentford side currently top of League One, although while Cheltenham boss John Ward will be delighted with his team Martin Allen will be far less impressed by the wayward performance of his side.

Both managers took the opportunity to rest key players after making positive starts to their respective League campaigns.

Cheltenham boss Ward made four changes while Allen, whose father Denis managed Cheltenham in the 1970s, switched five of his starting eleven.

It was the home side who adapted best to the changes early on and took the lead with only five minutes on the clock.

A long ball forward from right-back Brian Wilson was flicked on by giant striker Kayode Odejayi and midfielder JJ Melligan raced beyond the defence to beat goalkeeper Stuart Nelson with a firm volley.

Cheltenham continued to have the best of the first half-hour of the game, although they almost conceded an equaliser when Karleigh Osborne lifted a ball over the defence for Scott Fitzgerald, but the striker dragged his shot wide.

Odejayi saw an effort saved by Nelson and Cheltenham midfielder Grant McCann blasted a 30-yarder over the bar as the Robins looked to increase their advantage.

Brentford held on until half-time and forced home goalkeeper Shane Higgs to make an impressive save in first-half injury time when Paul Brooker's shot kicked up off the turf awkwardly just in front of him.

In the second half Cheltenham took control but their second goal came only after Nelson had saved a penalty from McCann.

However, Nelson flapped at the resulting corner and Gavin Caines was on hand to hook in the second goal from close range ten minutes after the break.

Jamie Victory added the third with a free header from a Melligan corner on 69 minutes and McCann scored the fourth, tapping in from a Melligan cross after Brentford midfielder Jay Tabb had given the ball away.

McCann blasted a free-kick through a forest of legs from a tight angle nine minutes from the end to complete a remarkable night for the home side.