Doncaster Rovers 0 Brentford 0

Last updated : 12 March 2005 By Footymad Previewer
Both sides battled hard for a point in a game that sometimes resembled a rugby match.

Brentford's tactics were to launch the ball forward as far as possible and battle for possession but there was no sting in the tail.

Doncaster did well to stand up to an aerial bombardment and played the only football of the game with John Doolan impressive in midfield.

But they lacked a play-off punch themselves and top scorer Michael McIndoe was way short of his best.

Brentford had the ball in the net as early as the fourth minute with a remarkable wind-assisted length of the field kick from goalkeeper Stuart Nelson.

Rovers keeper Andy Warrington fumbled the ball under pressure from Deon Burton and the referee disallowed the effort ruling that he had been impeded.

It looked a lucky escape for Doncaster and they were under pressure for most of the half as the Bees worked hard to try and make the breakthrough.

Isaiah Rankin fired just over the top from the edge of the box in the 11th minute and Burton hit a shot on the turn just wide five minutes later.

Doncaster went close when Neil Roberts volleyed wide following a magnificent pass from James Coppinger and McIndoe had a long-range effort well saved.

Roberts was out of luck again when he had a fierce shot cleared off the line by Sam Sodje before Rovers had a fortunate escape themselves at the other end.

Burton hooked the ball over keeper Warrington in the 28th minute only to see Doolan head off the line, and when Eddie Hutchinson followed up, his goal-bound thunderbolt was blocked by Nick Fenton.

Burton forced the save of the match from Warrington in the 47th minute when the home keeper instinctively parried a cracking shot that had looked a goal all the way.

But the home side had more success after the interval and it was Nelson's turn to come to the rescue when he tipped away a terrific 20-yard effort from Doolan in the 60th minute.

Rovers stepped up the pace in the closing stages but the Brentford defence remained resolute.