Queens Park Rangers Vs Brentford 13/4/02

Last updated : 15 April 2002 By Chris Wickham

It was Mark McCammon, a half-time substitute for Ben Burgess who turned a Martin Rowlands cross onto the near post. The ball was then scrambled away before either McCammon or Lloyd Owusu could poke it home. This was the best of a number of chances for Brentford, none of which they were able to convert.

Brentford were unchanged from the side which had beaten Huddersfield and the game started at a frenetic pace, befitting the importance of the game to both sides. Owusu narrowly failed to connect with a Paul Evans cross and Ijah Anderson shot wide on a rare foray forward.

Both sides had penalty appeals inside the first twenty minutes and both sides could claim to have been a little harshly treated by the officials. Firstly Darren Powell appeared to pull back Kevin Gallen inside the area after a sloppy back pass and then at the other end Burgess was booked for a dive when a penalty may have been the correct decision after a clumsy tackle.

Owusu nearly headed into his own net just past the half hour but he saw his header flash wide of the post, thankfully for his defence. At the other end the 21 goal striker could have put the visitors ahead before half time firstly with a header from an Evans corner and then he steered a Stephen Hunt cross wide when he had time to control the ball.

The first half had been an even, fiercely contested half with Brentford having Rowlands, Burgess and Hunt booked. QPR though had fought well and may claim to have had the better of the battle even though they hadn't created many chances.

With McCammon replacing Burgess at the break Brentford were much the brighter side and pushed forward looking for a vital win. QPR also attacked hoping to keep alive their play-off dream.

It was Matthew Rose who had two chances for the home side but shot wastefully wide both times. Daniel Shittu also had an effort near the end but couldn't make it count. That was the extent of their chances as Brentford piled on the pressure.

As well as hitting a post McCammon forced a good save from Rhys Evans in the home goal when he headed a Hunt cross goalward. He should really have given the keeper no chance but he headed into the ground and Evans was able to tip the ball over.

Brentford also forced a series of corners in a vain attempt to win the game but it was to no avail and they left with the point that was the minimum they needed. The 3,000 visiting fans knew that it was a point well won and were delighted with their efforts, which keep them in contention.

So it comes down to the final day of the season and a magnificent season from all at Brentford could be rewarded with the promotion. A sell-out is expected to witness the drama unfold as third meets second to decide the automatic promotion slot. It is going to be tense.

Brentford: Smith, Dobson, Anderson, Ingimarsson, Powell, Rowlands (Boxall), Sidwell, Evans, Hunt, Burgess (McCammon), Owusu.