Sheffield Wednesday 1 Brentford 1

Last updated : 10 April 2004 By Footymad Previewer

Sheffield Wednesday skipper Dean Smith grabbed an injury time equaliser to dent Brentford's hopes of avoiding the drop following the 1-1 draw at Hillsborough.

Ibrahami Sonko had handed Brentford a relegation lifeline with a 70th-minute goal to extend their unbeaten run to five games before Smith hammered in a right-foot strike from 12 yards with seconds to go Wednesday, with just two wins from eight games, turned in another miserable performance heaping more pressure on Hillsborough boss Chris Turner.

The Owls had escaped in the opening minutes, Andrew Frampton's curling free-kick headed away from under the bar by Derek Geary before Ben May squandered a simple chance.

Stephen Hunt's precise cross was headed back into the goalmouth by Kevin O'Connor and the lanky striker hammered the ball over the top from six yards.

Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungo was handed a half chance minutes before the interval but scooped the ball over from 10 yards out.

Brentford found a way through minutes after the re-start, O'Connor picking out May who finished with a tame header snapped up by Kevin Pressman.

They escaped minutes later after Adam Proudlock chased a long ball downfield. His shot from just inside the area cannoned off Stuart Nelson but the Brentford keeper recovered and beat the Wednesday striker in a chase for the loose ball, smothering it on the line.

Teenager Chris Brunt, freed by Middlesbrough and playing for a contract, had a left foot strike from 20 yards saved at the second attempt by the diving Nelson.

Danish striker Kim Olsen, on for the ineffective Ndumbu-Nsungo should have broken the deadlock in the 68th minute, stretching to reach a Chris Brunt cross, but from eight yards he steered a tame header straight at Nelson.

Wednesday paid the penalty two minutes later, Eddie Hutchinson was foiled by Derek Geary as he cleared off the line and centre back Sonko finished off from close range.

Nelson finger-tipped an Olsen header over the bar and substitute Jon Shaw saw his overhead kick fly over the target as Wednesday staged a late fight-back with Smith having the last word.